Friday, April 30, 2010

Reflection

I have one week left in Naples, Italy. One week. Seven days. 168 hours. 10,080 minutes. To some people that might seem like a lot of time. For me, it’s not enough. It will never be enough. I will never be able to squeeze enough hugs and kisses from Chiara and Vittoria in that short amount of time to hold me over until the next time I see them.


As the clock is ticking, I’m starting to panic. Did I do everything I wanted to do? Have I seen everything I wanted to see? Did I take advantage of my ideal location and travel enough? Did I get mad or frustrated with the girls too much? Did I hug them enough? Did I play with them enough?

Will I become just another name..another face..another girl in the long line of nannies they will have throughout their lifetime?

Will they remember me?

Here are some quotes and song lyrics that are especially meaningful to me at this time in my life.

“Know someone as much as you can. Hold onto the moments that define them. Then when their body leaves, they won’t.”

“Even though you may want to move forward in your life, you may have one foot on the brakes. In order to be free, we must learn how to let go. Release the hurt. Release the fear. Refuse to entertain your old pain. The energy it takes to hang onto the past is holding you back from a new life.”

“In daylights, in sunsets, in midnights, in cups of coffee. In inches, in miles, in laughter, in strife. In five hundred twenty-five thousand six hundred minutes. How do you measure a year in the life?”

“Can I sail through the changing ocean tides? Can I handle the seasons of my life? I don’t know…”

“I never dreamed home would end up where I don’t belong…”

“There’s always gonna be another mountain, I’m always gonna wanna make it move. Always gonna be an uphill battle, sometimes I’m gonna have to lose. Ain’t about how fast I get there. Ain’t about what’s waiting on the other side. It’s the climb.”

“The struggles I’m facing, the chances I’m taking, sometimes might knock me down but, no I’m not breaking. I may not know it, but these are the moments I’m gonna remember most. Just gotta keep going.”

1 comment:

  1. Whether they remember you or not will depend on you... You need to keep in touch and keep showing them those beautiful pictures you took for the year you were there!! Trust me, they WILL remember Elisabetta!!

    ReplyDelete